Friday 13 December 2013

Deal Review 3: Shin Yeh Bistro at Square 2

 
Deal Details:
TungLok Group: $30 for $60 Worth of Taiwanese Cuisine at Shin Yeh Bistro - Located Conveniently Near Novena MRT  
 
 
Weeks ago, Will and I saw this deal on deal.com.sg and decided to give it a try. Haha I wanted to have some Taiwanese food for a change ^^ As seen from the deal details, Shin Yeh Bistro is actually a restaurant managed by the TungLok Group. They work towards offering diners true and authentic taste of Taiwanese street food and the best flavours of iconic Taiwanese dishes.
 
I drove on that day and decided to park at the Oasia Hotel carpark. For those who are unaware, there is a link-way from Oasia hotel to Square 2. Super convenient!! I met up with Will in the mall and headed straight to Shin Yeh Bistro.
 
The restaurant is very spacious and has a seating capacity of 180 people. Despite that, Will and I had to wait quite awhile as the restaurant was packed. I had no idea Shin Yeh was so popular!
 
Photos of the restaurant before figuring out our orders (:
 
 
The restaurant also has such comfortable seats! Just nice for a group of 4-5 people.    
 
 
A bowl of crackers that was served to every table. Haha I definitely prefer this to peanuts ^^
 
 
First up is our drinks! Will ordered the Milk Tea with Watermelon ($3.90) while I ordered the Yoghurt Green Tea ($3.90). Our verdict was that the Yoghurt Green Tea tasted better. It's actually yakult mixed with green tea. Nice!!  
 
Milk Tea with Watermelon, Yoghurt Green Tea

For appetizers, we chose the Savoury Poached Kampong Chicken ($9.90).

Savoury Poached Kampong Chicken
 Will and I were actually worried that the serving of the chicken might be too large for the 2 of us. The worries were unfounded. The restaurant served a portion that was just right for 2 people. The chicken was very cold, probably chilled in the refrigerator before served. I'm not so used to chilled chicken but the meat was tender. Not bad!

Our first main dish was the Crispy-fried Soft Shell Crabs with Salt and Pepper ($11.90).

Crispy-fried Soft Shell Crabs with Salt and Pepper

I was looking forward to this dish as I love soft shell crabs a lot. The crispness of the soft shell crab was ok but I would prefer more seasonings. The "fishy" taste/flavour that came with the crab was still very distinct >.<

Next up, we had the Fried Vermicelli with Pumpkin ($9.90).

Fried Vermicelli with Pumpkin

I was deceived by the illustration in the menu. From the menu, it seemed to me that the vermicelli was fried with pumpkin strips and in a pumpkin gravy/sauce to give a nice golden yellow colour. The photo in the menu was indeed for illustration purposes only -.- The dish was a disappointment. There were pumpkin strips but all I could taste from the dish was fried vermicelli with whole lots of pepper. What happened to the sweet pumpkin flavour?!

The most awaited dish for me, the Spicy Eggplant and Pig Intestines served in Claypot ($10.90).

Spicy Eggplant and Pig Intestines served in Claypot
 
This dish was the best of all! The eggplant was soft and a little mushy, just the way I liked it. The pig intestines were chewy and tender. The hint of spiciness enhanced the flavours of the dish and made it even more delicious. Yummy! ^^
 
Our last dish before desserts was the 'Shin Lin' Pan-Fried Oyster Omelette ($6.90).

'Shin Lin' Pan-Fried Oyster Omelette

The oyster omelette offered in Shin Yeh was probably altered to suit the Singaporean tastebuds. It was unlike the one I had in Taiwan where the omelette was more starchy. It was a little disappointing that the oyster omelette lacked the fragrance of the fried egg. But for oyster lovers, this dish would be heaven as the amount of oysters in the omelette was very generous! There got to be about 15-20 oysters in there. O.O

Lastly for desserts, Will and I shared the Almond Jelly with Peach Slices in Syrup ($4.90).

Almond Jelly with Peach Slices in Syrup
 
The texture of the almond jelly is nothing like what I've had before! It's not the typical jelly that you would think of. The almond jelly had a chewy mochi-like texture. Interesting!
 
There were some hits and misses in the dishes that Will and I had. But for only $30+ for the dishes above, I would say its worth it!  

 
Shin Yeh Bistro  
10 Sinaran Drive
Square 2, #01-73
Singapore 307506
Tel: 6893 1123
 
 
Smiles,
Mari

No comments:

Post a Comment