Tuesday 31 December 2013

Platypus Kitchen at Bugis Junction

Last post for the year 2013! ^^

At Platypus, one is able to enjoy affordable gourmet risottos and pastas. I have scanned through the menu and found that most of the menu items are below $20!! I love it that they believe "Gourmet food should be Affordable" <3 Besides ensuring freshest handmade pasta for consumers, top quality ingredients are also used and all food contains no added MSG, preservatives or additives. Sounds great right!

Along with my university friends, we headed down to Platypus Kitchen at Bugis Junction.



 
The restaurant was rather empty as my friends and I met up for late lunch at around 4pm. The dim lighting made the atmosphere very cosy and it was nice to dine in such a quiet environment. 
  
 
 
We were surprised to be given the menu for Set Meals as it was a Saturday and way past lunch hours. They have Set Meals from $16.90 and Premium Set Meals from $19.90. Every set meal includes a hot soup or side salad and a cold beverage. Great deal!! ^^
 
My choice of Lemonade (Freshly squeezed) and Pumpkin Soup.

 
The lemonade was refreshing and a good drink to compliment my meal. As the pumpkin soup and pasta that I ordered were on the heavy side, the lemonade helped to ease the heaviness. The pumpkin soup was good but I would prefer it without the cream.
 
Apart from our set meals, my friends and I also ordered the Truffle fries ($6.90) to share. ^^  
 
Truffle Fries
 
The Truffle fries consist of thick cut French fries seasoned with white truffle oil and topped with shaved truffles and cheese. To have more truffle flavour, you can also dip the fries in the truffle dipping sauce. The fries were evenly seasoned and the truffle flavour was just right for me. The generous portion of fries makes it a great appetizer to share among friends!
 
My pasta!! I ordered the Spicy 'Diablo' Crab and Prawn (Egg Tagliolini with prawns and crab claw tossed in a spicy egg sauce).  
 
Spicy 'Diablo' Crab and Prawn
 
Look at the small mountain of crab meat! You can never get that at other restaurants! The egg tagliolini was cooked al dente and the spicy kick of the pasta was so addictive. It was just right for me but caution, it may be too spicy for people who don't take spicy food! The last highlight of the dish, the garlic slices! Although the garlic slices looked like any other stir-fried garlic, they tasted absolutely different. For non-garlic lovers like my friends and I, it was a surprise. The garlic tasted crunchy and had no garlic flavour at all. Haha I forced my friends to try and we were all intrigued by it! 
 
My friends ordered the Sundried Chicken Pesto (Penne with grilled chicken chunks tossed in rich sundried-tomato pesto) and Porcini Raviolacci & Duck (Porcini Raviolacco Burro Fuso (browned butter) topped with crispy duck confit) respectively.    
 
Sundried Chicken Pesto
 
I love the rich sundried-tomato pesto. It's one of the nicest tomato-based sauce I've had so far. The rich tomato flavour just whets your appetite for more! 

Porcini Raviolacci & Duck

For the Porcini Raviolacci & Duck, the sauce tasted SO rich and creamy! For people who love rich creamy sauce, you will definitely love this! My friend enjoyed the dish but had one feedback. More raviolacci please!! Haha
 
My friends and I were so stuffed but the desserts on the menu looked too good to be missed. Haha we couldn't decide on the cake and decided to heed the advice on the dessert menu. "When in doubt, try our Sea Salt Caramel Cake. You won't regret it!Sea Salt Caramel Cake ($7.90) it shall be! ^^

Sea Salt Caramel Cake
The sea salt caramel cake consists of sponge cake with lush layers of peanut and almond brittle, French sea salt, caramel and rich butter cream. On first look, my friends and I thought the crystal-like solids on the cake were sea salt! (We seemed like frogs in a well -.-) We took a bite each and it didn't taste salty at all. Instead, it was sweet and it started popping in our mouths. The crystal-like solids were actually popping candy (carbonated candy that creates a fizzy reaction when it dissolves)!!
 
The candy pops against the tooth and gives a 'click' sound. My friends and I had a great laugh over the audible 'clicking' sounds. Haha the cake was really a fun and delicious cake to have! Highly recommended!
 
We sat in the restaurant for 3+ hours but the staff did not chase us away even when the dinner crowd started to enter. Instead, our water were constantly refilled. Good service! ^^
 
Before leaving the restaurant, I decided to enquire about the hours for the Set Meals promotion. The staff who gave us our bill confidently replied me "Mondays to Fridays, 12 to 5pm". Hmmm...but wasn't it a Saturday?? Haha my friends and I left the restaurant amused. It was a very pleasant dining experience at Platypus (:
 
P.S. My friends and I went back for a second visit. Check out the post here!  


Cheers,
Mari


No comments:

Post a Comment